“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, ‘Wow, what a ride!'” –Hunter S. Thomspon
This is an invitation to live fully. It’s an invitation to explore, investigate, travel, find adventure, and live with intention. Yes, we need to take care of ourselves, protect ourselves, and be wise. BUT, we should not be so cautious, so hesitant, so careful, that we miss the opportunities to LIVE.
This winter, the doctors found a pre-cancerous mole on my back and they had to do surgery, which left a GIANT two-inch, bright-red scar in the middle of my back. However, the main reason my wound scarred so badly was because right after my surgery I moved to Mexico and it got completely infected. I could have been angry and frustrated about it. But my friend Jessica, who was living with me in Mexico and cleaning my wound twice each day, read me this quote by Hunter S. Turner (above) and she told me, “You know, it’s kind of like a free tattoo. And you’ll always have a story to tell.” Instead of being angry about it, I decided just to accept it, because life is not about arriving safely in a well-preserved body. It’s about skidding in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, ‘Wow! What a ride!’
Don’t be afraid to live. Don’t be afraid to travel, explore, and adventure in unknown places. If your body isn’t perfect, who cares? It’s evidence that you’re living, that you’re taking advantage of your time on this earth.
Kelsey’s Notes: April 24th, 2014
- Be patient with border control. (I’m leaving Mexico today and driving back to the states!)
- Drive carefully, blast some dang good music, and enjoy the sun!
- Enjoy every moment with my grandparents in Arizona.
Today I am thankful for:
- Onesimo, my host dad, who fixed the hole in my tire and changed my oil this morning!
- Yoga felt SO great this morning… (last time doing yoga in my little Mexican casita!)
- Bananas, because they are delicious with peanut butter.