Why make homemade drain cleaner? It’s cheap and easy! And there are only TWO ingredients– Baking Soda and Vinegar.
- Half a box of baking soda
- Vinegar (any type of vinegar should do the trick)
- Pour some of the baking soda down the drain.
- Pour vinegar down the drain and let it settle on top of the baking soda. This should create a foaming action.
- Once foam is settled, repeat steps #1 and #2 until you have used half the box of baking soda.
- For maximum effect, do not use the drain/sink for about 30 minutes (or longer).
- The first time you use the drain after cleaning, run hot water. This should remove any last debris left behind.
Why does this work? Baking soda and vinegar are both natural disinfectants and will blast away gunk, food, mold, germs, and residue in your drain.
I absolutely LOVE this recipe. When I was in college, I lived in a house with four girls. We all had long hair, did our make-up over the sink, and brushed our teeth a lot. I can’t even tell you how much got stuck in our bathroom drain. I took a video of myself unclogging the drain with my wonderful combination of baking soda and vinegar and I was going to post it on here, but it’s actually one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen. The reaction of the baking soda and vinegar made my sink vomit up all the gunk. But I cannot tell you how CLEAN it became. All the gunk, mold, hair, and make-up came up out of the drain. I have never seen any Drain Cleaner work this well! And I didn’t use any chemicals! I would HIGHLY suggest doing this. It’s cheap, easy, and completely purifies.
Has anyone else tried this? What do you think!?
Enjoy living a frugal, chemical-free life!